Thursday, July 12, 2007

Time-out for Mommy

I'm beginning to realize how important it is to schedule some "time-out" for myself. My work load is twice as much as I'm use to and by the end of the day I'm usually mentally exhausted. It's funny because when I invite someone and their kid(s) over for play dates, it's usually also a break for me to get to talk to another mom. As a stay at home mom or a working mom, it's essential to have a network of other moms to relate to. It gives us time to talk about our mommy concerns, vent about our frustrations, and shoot the breeze about whats going on in our lives. My "Mommy Network" helps keep me sane and from torturing myself with guilt.

I realize no matter what our circumstances in life, all of us moms feel guilty about something. My other mom friends that work feel guilty about sending their kids to daycare. Some stay at home moms feel guilty about snapping at their kids when everyone having a bad day. (Right now I feel guilty about disciplining Evelyn so much) And almost all moms are wondering if their doing "the right thing" be it discipline, feeding, scheduling, etc... We're all just trying to do the best that we can and the guilt we feel shows how dedicated we are to our children. I guess guilt = love?

My friend Jen borrowed me the book, "Mommy's Locked in the Bathroom", by Cynthia Sumner and it's been a really good read. I've found myself laughing out loud at some of the authors experiences. For me I guess it all comes down to humor. Be it a good-bad day or a bad-good day, if I can try to find some humor through out the day it sure does help. Our kids do so many cute and wonderful things all day long. If I can just learn to stop and appreciate these funny moments I think I'll be a happier mom.

3 comments:

Missy said...

That sounds like a good book, April. I've literally locked myself in the bathroom a few times recently. And I agree, all mom's have "the guilt" --- although now I'm so happy Alex goes to daycare and I've found a peace with it. I'm sure that will change again and I'll be desperate to be a SAHM as soon as baby #2 makes an appearance.

Kristine said...

You know, it seems like every now and then you have to kin dof stop and put yourself in "check." I also agree - we all have the guilt. It's always something. Thanks for posting this. I think I needed a check right now! Right now I am a SAHM and I feel guilty sometimes, like i should be doing different - better - things with Graycen during the day. It never ends, really. :)
I am interested in this book now.. Thanks!

Kaosong said...

April--your kids are adorable! I love the semi-naked picture below. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am a big proponent of "me" time. I love Roan so much, but as a mom, I know how much of my own self I've sacrificed for him. All of it was/is totally worth it, but I sometimes reminisce those days when I could just pick up and go.