Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The dog-days (or nights) of parenting

Funny, when you picture yourself having a family it includes fun times, happy times...everyone getting along. You don't picture wake-up calls every hour from your sick kids. This my friends is the dog-days of parenting. It's funny how soon I forgot what it was like when Evelyn was a baby and sick. Her nights were terrible because she was so congested. We did everything we could think of, but in the end she was most comfortable when in bed with one of us.

So now we're going through it again with Wyatt. The nice thing is that I know this will pass, I know in time as he gets bigger he'll be able to handle colds a little better too. Experience is a wonderful thing. I know that if I can manage to get a little sleep too, I might be able to dodge this cold that the kids have. I know that it helps for Neil and I to take turns with night duty so that one of us doesn't get worn out. (Ye-ha, tonight is my night off!)

There's something about your own sick child that pulls your heartstrings. You just want them to be happy and healthy and there's not a whole lot you can do for them when they are sick. Possibly the best thing I can think of is taking care of yourself to make sure you don't get sick too.

Happy sleeping to you!

No comments: