Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I lifted 3000 lbs!!!!!

(Not all at once, of course) Neil and I built two raised garden beds for my mother's day gift and had a special garden dirt delivered yesterday. It was 2 cubic yards and I moved it all myself from the driveway to the backyard by wheelbarrow. After the first few loads, I thought I had bitten off more than I could chew. My back screamed in agony with each shovel full of fragrant soil. Something inside myself told me I could do it and I continued until the beds were full.




A few ibuprophen and a brandy-n-seven later here is the finished product.



On the right side you can see where I took a digger and lost control of a load. Whoops! At least no one saw me! It wasn't a pretty site.

I can't wait to plant my garden. I'll be growing tomatoes, zuchinni, peppers, cucumbers, snap peas, carrots, beats, radishes, lettuce, sunflowers, cosmos and a bunch of herbs. I'm trying a new technique called "Square foot gardening", which maximized the area by planting in 1x1 ft sections. I'll post a picture once things start sprouting. I can't wait to get my hands dirty!!!!

1 comment:

kristine said...

How exciting! I look forward to seeing how your garden comes along! Way to go you for lifting all the dirt! Way to be a WOMAN!!